Saturday 29 October 2016

Tang Exhibition NSW Art Gallery

Recently the Art Gallery of NSW held a Tang Exhibition: Treasure from the Silk Road Capital.

"The exhibition brings to light the fascinating lifestyle of the women of Chang’an. 
The diverse culture of Chang’an during the Tang dynasty brought about a time of great tolerance and openness that saw women gain a remarkable increase in freedom. 
The apex of this empowerment was the more than 20-year reign of Empress Wu Zeitan, the only female sovereign in Chinese dynastic history. 

Women were also increasingly represented in art during the Tang dynasty.

Buddhism thrived in the Tang Empire with many emperors offering imperial patronage of the religion. 
Private patrons were also prevalent with merchants, foreign dignitaries, women’s groups, military leaders and families sponsoring impressive temples." 














Whenever I visit the Art Gallery of NSW, part of the pleasure is enjoying a coffee in the cafe gardens.
During this visit I was joined by a very curious magpie and a beautiful rainbow lorikeet.



This post is part of Saturday Snapshot

8 comments:

  1. My favourite is probably the bird- last picture. Just because it adds color to the exhibition!

    Thanks for sharing, and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks an interesting exhibition Brona. I haven't been to AGNSW in ages- I should try to get there again sometime soon. Have you been to the Chiswick at the gallery? I like your bird visitors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No to the Chiswick, but one of my good friends was only raving about it (again) recently. I really must go.
      One of the local Balmain bus routes terminates at the Art Gallery during non-peak times. I love it - it makes a trip there so easy to do. I then walk down to the Quay via the Botanic Gardens and catch a ferry home - a lovely way to spend a few hours on my day off work :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this beautiful exhibition. I didn't realize China had ever had a female ruler. What a delight to be visited by those beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no to the birds Sandra! They can be a bit pesty looking for crumbs of food!

      Delete
  4. What a great exhibit! I think my favorite is the last one (in the exhibit) of the very fierce looking warrior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do fierce very well, but I particularly loved how graceful and elegant the bowls were in this exhibition.

      Delete
  5. This is an awesome display. It makes you wonder how they made such wonderful artifacts without our modern technology. I'm glad you had company for your coffee!

    ReplyDelete

I know that blogger comments can be a pain, but I do love to hear from you. Please log onto a google account to make it as easy as possible.

All spam & anonymous comments will be deleted and comment moderation is in place for most posts.