Saturday 30 November 2013

Art Gallery of NSW


Tuesday 

I'd been having a dud day. It was my day off work, caught up doing the dreaded domestics. Nothing felt right; I felt irritable and out of sorts. On the spur of the moment I decided to take myself off to the art gallery to see the new America exhibition.

I figured I needed some beauty to soothe my savage soul!

And I was right. As soon as the bus went past the gallery & I saw the big brash America sign out the front, I smiled and knew I'd done the right thing.

The exhibition itself was fine & interesting, although not particularly outstanding. Whilst browsing through the gift shop at the end though I spotted something new.


Icon Magazine is a new mag celebrating the art world in Australia. The first edition came out this month. It's bright, Ned Kelly cover stood out a mile in the gallery shop, tempting me to buy one.

It has some fascinating articles detailing the various exhibitions on around the country at the moment as well as the Australia exhibition currently on in London. Each article is accompanied by big, lovely, glossy pictures of some of the works.

I'll be looking out for the next edition in the New Year.

However, I was still feeling rather flat and at odds with the world.

So I took myself off to the permanent galleries & The European and Australian rooms to see some of my old friends.

As soon as I saw The Sea Hath Its Pearls (1897) a huge wave of relief and release washed over me. For the first time in weeks I felt calm, serene and at peace with the world.
The name of the painting comes from a poem by Heinrich Heine. Call me a romantic, but I love both to pieces!







The sea hath its pearls,
The heaven hath its stars;
But my heart, my heart,
My heart hath its love.
Great are the sea, and the heaven;
Yet greater is my heart,
And fairer than pearls or stars
Flashes and beams my love.
Thou little, youthful maiden,
Come unto my great heart;
My heart, and the sea and the heaven
Are melting away with love!
Below are details from some of my other favourites - all Australian paintings. 

I love how easy it is take photo's these days with my mobile phone.

I can now use these shots as my screen or lock window and see them every day -
so that I can have a little bit of peace, calm & serenity in my handbag wherever I go :-)










This post is part of Saturday Snapshot & AusReading Month.

9 comments:

  1. I always enjoy a trip to an art gallery too Brona, I've done three in the past week! None to the AGNSW though, I don't think I'll get to see the America exhibition, sounds like you didn't think that much of it anyway. I haven't seen that ICON magazine- I'll keep an eye out for it. Not that I particularly need another magazine. We are members of the National Gallery in Canberra and they send us a lovely magazine each quarter. I went to the AGSA in Adelaide this week- it was great- hopefully I'll get to doing pictures for next weeks Saturday post. I really enjoy the permanent collections at AGNSW, and you've picked some of my favourites too. We saw that Ben Quilty/Margaret Olley up here when they did the travelling Archibald- it's most striking. A Brett Whiteley always draws you in from across the room doesn't it? Particularly those beautiful blue ones. Even though I'm not usually sure whether I like them or not. Your last photo is my very favourite picture in the whole gallery. I even have a badly framed print of it around somewhere. I should get a nicer one done now. Thanks for the lovely art break, I'm trying to do some dreaded domestics myself today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The America exhibition was fine; I'm glad I went, it's just not noteworthy.
      We went to the AGSA last year and loved it too - I look forward to your pics so I can relive the experience :-)
      The Ben Quilty/Olley painting is my favourite at the moment - it's hung next to another portrait of Olley in her 20's - the contrast is remarkable on all levels.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful artwork! I haven't been to a museum in so long. I need to work that into the New Year. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the art and that's a great poem, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These paintings are amazing! What a beautiful art gallery this is. Isn't it great that you can easily just hop over there to see artworks... I'm sure such visits can brighten up the dullest of days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely and interesting paintings! Love "The Sea Hath It's Pearls" - so serene! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous tour of the gallery...thanks! I need to upgrade my cell phone...my camera is not the best. I use a regular camera for photos...but all my kids and grandkids use their cell phones. They all have fancy ones...lol

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I DO love a good art gallery for a relaxing day of looking and dreaming and contemplating ... you've given us a good cross section of Aussie art! Thanks! Glad your trip salvaged your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you.. a long time since i visited an art gallery..

    ReplyDelete

I know that blogger comments can be a pain, but I do love to hear from you. Please log onto a google account to make it as easy as possible.

All spam & anonymous comments will be deleted and comment moderation is in place for most posts.